PROCEDURE FOR MAKING PAN CARD
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a ten-digit alphanumeric number, issued in the form of a laminated card, by the Income Tax Department, to any “person” who applies for it.
It is also issued to foreign nationals.
The PAN is mandatory for a majority of financial transactions such as opening a bank account, receiving taxable salary or professional fees, sale or purchase of assets above specified limits etc.; especially high-value transactions.
One can apply for PAN by submitting the prescribed PAN application to the authorized PAN agency of the district or through online submission to NSDL along with 2 recent passport size color photographs, proof of ID, Address and Date of Birth and fee.
PRESCRIBED PAN APPLICATION FORMS
- Following forms have been notified by Income Tax Department for submitting applications for allotment of new PAN:
- FORM 49A – To be filled by Indian citizens including those who are located outside India.
- FORM 49AA – To be filled by foreign citizens.
*The above FORMS are available at http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/form-pan.aspx
- Application for new PAN Card or/and Changes or Corrections in PAN Data:
Those who have already obtained the PAN and wish to obtain the new PAN card or want to make some changes / corrections in their PAN data, are required to submit their applications in the following form prescribed by ITD:
- ‘REQUEST FOR NEW PAN CARD OR/AND CHANGES OR CORRECTION IN PAN DATA’:– The same form can be used by Indian as well as foreign citizens.A new PAN card bearing the same PAN but updated information is issued to applicant in such case.
* Physically submit the above PAN Forms to the prescribed counters authorized by Income Tax Department. Trace the status of Pan Card online through acknowledgement number at http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in
ONLINE APPLICATION FACILITY FOR OBTAINING PAN
For the net savvy users, it is very easy to make application online at the websites of NSDL e-Governance or UTIITSL. Brief process note as available on NSDL e-Gov’s TIN website is really useful. The online application in brief is as under:
- Go to the websites of NSDL [ tin-nsdl.com ]or UTIITSL [ www.utiitsl.com ] and submit application details online (No other entity is authorized by ITD to provide online PAN application facility)
- Submit application details online
- Make online payment of application fee.
- On successful submission and acknowledgement receipt is generated. Save and print the receipt, affix recent photographs over it and sign it in the space provided on the receipt.
- Forward same to NSDL e-Gov or UTIITSL (as applicable) along with supporting documents (POI, POA, Date of Birth documents) for further processing.
- Status of your application then can be traced online.